Lineker shakes it up for latest Walkers outing
LONDON - Gary Lineker, the face of Walkers, is to star in a new television campaign for the relaunch of Salt & Shake, the crisps with a sachet of salt in the packet.
The ad plays on the sentimental value of Salt & Shake, which have been rebranded from Smiths to Walkers, although the distinctive blue and white packaging will remain.
In the ad, created by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, Lineker is shown as a young boy stealing his friend's crisps and cycling up a steep cobbled hill, shaking up his packets of Salt & Shake in the front basket of his Chopper.
The ad then cuts to a second scene, years later, where Lineker is still riding his Chopper, hurtling down a hill with his supply of stolen crisps. The music for the ad is Jerry Lee Lewis's 'A Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On'.
Denise Barrett, brand manager for Walkers Crisps and Salt & Shake, said: "We believe Salt & Shake will be a big hit with both young and old alike and will bring back a lot of fond memories. Salt & Shake is a unique crisp with its own little blue sachet, which gives people a unique choice of adding as much or as little salt as they like."
Smiths Salt & Shake is more than 50 years old. The new packaging will acknowledge that they were "Originally Smiths" and also feature the words "Best Ever".
The ad debuts on television screens from January 16, but Walkers has made it available on its website. Media for the campaign was by OMD UK.
Linker said: "They say that once you have learnt to ride a bike, you never forget. Well, I did forget just how painful Chopper bikes are to ride. A very wet and cold day in Halifax, cycling up and down a cobbled hill -- the things I do in the name of crisps."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Direct Recruitment £32,000 +, London (Central), London (Greater)