History Channel seeks to expose secret BBC deal
LONDON - The History Channel is seeking to expose a secret agreement between the broadcaster and the government that lifts the limit on the number of commercial digital channels it can operate.
UKTV, a joint venture between the BBC and Telewest's programming arm Flextech, operates UKTV, UK Gold, UK Style, UK Food and UK Horizons. The most recent has been the launch of UK History, which has angered the History Channel.
Geoff Metzger, managing director of the History Channel, objected to UKTV's plans for the channel because he said it has already launched eight channels -- the maximum number of commercial channels the licence-fee funded BBC is allowed to operated.
However, according to a report in The Times, Metzger now claims that the Department for Culture, Media and Sport lifted the eight-channel ceiling in 2000 in a secret deal.
He is said to be seeking legal advice to try to obtain the full details of the agreement between UKTV and the government. UKTV has refused to provide the information because of "commercial confidentiality".
At the time of UK History's launch, the BBC said: "While there has been press coverage of debate between UK History and the History Channel, there were no issues (regulatory or otherwise) preventing Wednesday's launch of UK History.
"As we confirmed on October 7 2002, UK History forms part of a joint venture between BBC Worldwide and Telewest, which has been fully approved by Department for Culture, Media and Sport."
At the time of writing, no one at the DCMS was available for comment.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Account Manager ADLIB £25000 - £35000 per annum, Reading