Take A Break spot is banned after 318 complaints
LONDON - A television commercial for Take A Break magazine, created by Mustoes, drew 318 complaints from the public before it was withdrawn from the airwaves and subsequently banned.
People objected to the spot degrading the elderly and denigrating social services and because the subject of the joke was "profoundly offensive".
The advertisement showed the driver of a meals-on-wheels van parked outside a block of flats. A voiceover said: "Whatever you're doing it can wait -- while you Take a Break."
The driver continued to read the magazine, published by H Bauer, while an elderly lady sat in her flat staring bleakly at an empty plate, waiting for her meal to be delivered.
The ad was withdrawn voluntarily by the agency, after the volume of complaints received by the Independent Television Commission, with the BACC, which clears ads for broadcast, saying that it would not have cleared the spot if it had anticipated the strong reaction.
The BACC that it "accepted that the disappointment of an elderly person was not a suitable subject for humour and that this lesson would be borne in mind in future".
The ITC said that the commercial made light of the fear and loneliness of some of society's most vulnerable members, and said that the ad could not be retransmitted in its current form.
However, the broadcast watchdog rejected complaints over Marmite's "lifeguard kiss" spot, with 71 viewers complaining that it portrayed a homosexual act and was unsuitable for broadcast at times when children might be watching.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London