Lineker and Syal go Bollywood for Walkers campaign
LONDON - Walkers Crisps has gone Bollywood, turning Gary Lineker into an Indian screen hearthrob in the advertising for its next brand extension, also to feature the comedienne Meera Syal.
The ads are not due to break until summer, when the new Great British Takeaway range of crisps, including chicken tikka masala flavour, hit the shelves. The Evening Standard reports that the ad is being filmed in London's Southall, which has been transformed into something resembling the set of a Bollywood film.
In the spot, created by Walkers long-standing advertising agency Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, Lineker plays a groom on the way to his wedding, appearing in the appropriate garb and with his hair dyed black.
He arrives to collect his dowry -- a cornershop and the crisps it sells -- thinking he has married a young beautiful woman. But it turns out he has married Syal, who is dressed in a similar style to her Granny Sushila character from the television show 'The Kumars at No 42'.
Lineker is currently appearing in Walkers' Comic Relief tie-in campaign, in which his attempts to steal crisps from stars including Zoe Ball and Kate Winslet are thwarted by the stars' opportune flatulence.
According to a survey by the Food Council, Lineker was nominated by parents as the Greedy Star of the Year for his promotion of Walkers Crisps.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire
- Marketing Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50K-70K + Benefits Package, Central London