Yahoo! promotes dating site in television campaign
NEW YORK - Yahoo! is to advertise its online dating service on television for the first time on Oscars night, the second biggest TV night in America after the Super Bowl.
The 30-second spot breaks during the Academy Awards on March 23. It was created by Black Rocket Euro RSCG, Yahoo!'s advertising agency of record.
Called "big night", the ad shows a diverse range of men and women in the frantic final minutes of getting ready to go out on a date with the person they've found on Yahoo! Personals.
One of the people is a cowboy in Western formal wear, selecting the perfect cowboy hat; another is a single mother who is being advised by her four-year-old daughter; a third is a 70-year-old man dressed in loungewear.
The internet company hopes that the campaign will position Yahoo! as an "island of hope in a sea of dating cynicism". The television advertising will be backed by three new radio spots and outdoor posters in New York, San Francisco and Boston.
There will also be an online push for the service, with multiple creative executions promoting the fun and excitement of dating.
Murray Gaylord, vice-president of brand marketing at Yahoo!, said: "The Yahoo! personals campaign reflects key aspects of the Yahoo! brand such as fun, trustworthiness and an interest in people."
Yahoo! Personals first appeared in 1997, and is one of the most popular online dating sites -- one of the success areas in online commerce.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Marketing Manager - Maternity Contract ADLIB £30000 - £35000 per annum, Wiltshire
- Project Manager Major Players £26000 - £28000 per annum, City of London
- Customer and Market Insight Officer Better Placed Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + Very competitive benefits package, Guildford
- Print Buyer - Print Purchasing - High Street Brand - £25-27k Salt £25000 - £27000 per annum, London