Yahoo! promotes dating site in television campaign
NEW YORK - Yahoo! is to advertise its online dating service on television for the first time on Oscars night, the second biggest TV night in America after the Super Bowl.
The 30-second spot breaks during the Academy Awards on March 23. It was created by Black Rocket Euro RSCG, Yahoo!'s advertising agency of record.
Called "big night", the ad shows a diverse range of men and women in the frantic final minutes of getting ready to go out on a date with the person they've found on Yahoo! Personals.
One of the people is a cowboy in Western formal wear, selecting the perfect cowboy hat; another is a single mother who is being advised by her four-year-old daughter; a third is a 70-year-old man dressed in loungewear.
The internet company hopes that the campaign will position Yahoo! as an "island of hope in a sea of dating cynicism". The television advertising will be backed by three new radio spots and outdoor posters in New York, San Francisco and Boston.
There will also be an online push for the service, with multiple creative executions promoting the fun and excitement of dating.
Murray Gaylord, vice-president of brand marketing at Yahoo!, said: "The Yahoo! personals campaign reflects key aspects of the Yahoo! brand such as fun, trustworthiness and an interest in people."
Yahoo! Personals first appeared in 1997, and is one of the most popular online dating sites -- one of the success areas in online commerce.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London