Yahoo! promotes dating site in television campaign
NEW YORK - Yahoo! is to advertise its online dating service on television for the first time on Oscars night, the second biggest TV night in America after the Super Bowl.
The 30-second spot breaks during the Academy Awards on March 23. It was created by Black Rocket Euro RSCG, Yahoo!'s advertising agency of record.
Called "big night", the ad shows a diverse range of men and women in the frantic final minutes of getting ready to go out on a date with the person they've found on Yahoo! Personals.
One of the people is a cowboy in Western formal wear, selecting the perfect cowboy hat; another is a single mother who is being advised by her four-year-old daughter; a third is a 70-year-old man dressed in loungewear.
The internet company hopes that the campaign will position Yahoo! as an "island of hope in a sea of dating cynicism". The television advertising will be backed by three new radio spots and outdoor posters in New York, San Francisco and Boston.
There will also be an online push for the service, with multiple creative executions promoting the fun and excitement of dating.
Murray Gaylord, vice-president of brand marketing at Yahoo!, said: "The Yahoo! personals campaign reflects key aspects of the Yahoo! brand such as fun, trustworthiness and an interest in people."
Yahoo! Personals first appeared in 1997, and is one of the most popular online dating sites -- one of the success areas in online commerce.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Senior Digital Operations Manager Harvey Nash £50000 per annum + package, Nottingham