Pimm's to help British enjoy summer in the pouring rain
LONDON - Gin liqueur Pimm's is to make light of the traditional British summer in a new television campaign starring Harry, the naive hooray Henry who appeared in last summer's ads for the spirit.
The advertisements were created by Mother and star Alexander Armstrong, of 'Armstrong & Miller' fame, reprising his Harry role.
In one spot, called "crusties", Harry sits in a tree with a group of environmentalists protesting at road building. As it rains, he praises the great British summer and says that he makes it "Pimm's o'clock", and offers Pimm's all round.
In another ad, called "hurricane", he offers Pimm's to a group of farm workers struggling to board up a barn during a storm.
The ads were directed by Jim Jenkins and the campaign is part of a £3m marketing campaign, with PR through Borkowski PR.
Pimm's has undertaken research into attitudes into British summer weather. It found that 73% of people would enjoy outdoor events in the summer just as much if the weather were wet or overcast as if it was sunny. Almost one in 10 said that they would enjoy them more because it added an element of eccentricity.
Starbucks has used a similar theme in advertising its range of Frappuccino drinks. Created by Fallon and first appearing in 2000, the posters show people carrying on with their usual summer activities such as sunbathing, despite the pouring rain. Last year's executions used the strapline: "Instant summer free with every Frappuccino".
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Senior Digital Operations Manager Harvey Nash £50000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Marketing Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, London