Atari hands £3m UK media account to Generation Media
LONDON - Atari has handed its £3m UK media planning and buying account to start-up Generation Media, following its rebranding last week from Infogrames.
Generation scooped the account from Carat, as the computer games publisher aims to target the youth market with its new name.
Dean Weller, managing director of Generation, said: "[The rebranding] is a fantastic ploy. The company can now claim they invented videogames." Atari was behind the first mass-market video console game Pong in the 70s, before going on to dominate the early 80s with its 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroid' games.
Generation Media specialises in youth and children's brands, and includes 'Bob the Builder' creator HIT Entertainment on its list of clients.
"This account is what we have been working towards for the past six months. We have been looking for a youth and leisure account win," Weller said.
The appointment of the agency comes as Atari looks at placing its business on a territorial basis, according to Weller. The incumbent Carat held the account across Europe.
The agency begins working for Atari from July 1. The latest campaign for the release of 'Matrix Reloaded' game 'Enter the Matrix' breaks tomorrow and was handled by Carat. 'Enter the Matrix' is tipped to be a smash hit as it raises the bar to new heights for cinematic video game tie-ins. In the past, many of these have been of poor quality, but the Matrix game is reported to be set to change all of that.
Generation last week hired Amy Watts from MediaCom as account manager on Atari, bringing the number of staff at the agency, which launched in January 2002, to four.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london