Yahoo! surprises with marketing chief appointment
NEW YORK - Yahoo! has made a surprise appointment to its chief marketing role by choosing Cammie Dunaway, a veteran in consumer brand marketing with no history of working for dotcoms.
Dunaway joins Yahoo! from the snack food company Frito-Lay, owner of brands including Doritos and Cheetos, following the departure late last year of John Costello after only a year in the role.
She joins later this month and will report to chief operating officer Dan Rosensweig. She will be reponsible for all consumer, enterprise and partnership marketing initiatives worldwide.
Dunaway has nearly 20 years' experience working in marketing. At Frito-Lay, she was vice-president and general manager of kids and teen brands.
During her 13 years at the company, she has also been responsible for national accounts customer development and was region vice-president for the Pacific Northwest. While at the company, she rebuilt the Doritos.com site, and redirected the brand's Super Bowl media funds toward interactive marketing.
Before joining Frito-Lay, Dunaway worked in advertising account management at the agencies Howard, Merrell & Partners and the Martin Advertising Agency.
Yahoo! appointed John Costello as chief global marketing officer in November 2001, but he left the role a year later to take up the same position at the retailer Home Depot.
According to Rosensweig: "Cammie is a classically trained marketer who brings a consumer-centric approach that makes her the ideal candidate to lead our global brand operations."
He added: "A long-time internet proponent among her marketing peers, Cammie appreciates the potential of this medium and we believe she'll bring great value to Yahoo's overall business."
At the same time, Yahoo! announced it was appointing John Marcom as senior vice-president of international operations, overseeing Yahoo! in Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America.
He joins from the Financial Times, where he was president of the Americas, and has a background as a journalist and an executive at AOL Time Warner.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Integrated Shoreditch Agency - Financial Services - £30-38k Judi Patton £30k-38k, Shoreditch, London
- Head of Inbound (SEO and Content) dmpeople Between £60,000 and £80,000 plus bonus and benefits, London
- Regional Shopper & Market Insights Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, Asia
- International Trade Planning Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 per annum, London