Yahoo! surprises with marketing chief appointment
NEW YORK - Yahoo! has made a surprise appointment to its chief marketing role by choosing Cammie Dunaway, a veteran in consumer brand marketing with no history of working for dotcoms.
Dunaway joins Yahoo! from the snack food company Frito-Lay, owner of brands including Doritos and Cheetos, following the departure late last year of John Costello after only a year in the role.
She joins later this month and will report to chief operating officer Dan Rosensweig. She will be reponsible for all consumer, enterprise and partnership marketing initiatives worldwide.
Dunaway has nearly 20 years' experience working in marketing. At Frito-Lay, she was vice-president and general manager of kids and teen brands.
During her 13 years at the company, she has also been responsible for national accounts customer development and was region vice-president for the Pacific Northwest. While at the company, she rebuilt the Doritos.com site, and redirected the brand's Super Bowl media funds toward interactive marketing.
Before joining Frito-Lay, Dunaway worked in advertising account management at the agencies Howard, Merrell & Partners and the Martin Advertising Agency.
Yahoo! appointed John Costello as chief global marketing officer in November 2001, but he left the role a year later to take up the same position at the retailer Home Depot.
According to Rosensweig: "Cammie is a classically trained marketer who brings a consumer-centric approach that makes her the ideal candidate to lead our global brand operations."
He added: "A long-time internet proponent among her marketing peers, Cammie appreciates the potential of this medium and we believe she'll bring great value to Yahoo's overall business."
At the same time, Yahoo! announced it was appointing John Marcom as senior vice-president of international operations, overseeing Yahoo! in Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America.
He joins from the Financial Times, where he was president of the Americas, and has a background as a journalist and an executive at AOL Time Warner.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London