Loyd Grossman tops list of British celebrity brands
LONDON - A survey has named Loyd Grossman as the most successful celebrity brand in the UK, with his range of pasta sauces and salad dressings earning £50m, beating out Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver.
Grossman's long association with the television programme 'Masterchef' has led to him launching his own range of pasta sauces, complete with an advertising campaign that capitalises on his somewhat pedantic television image.
As well as hosting 'Masterchef', he was the long-time "detective" on the BBC programme 'Through the Keyhole', where he became famous for his "who would live in a house like this?" question before passing back to presenter Sir David Frost with the line "David, it's over to you".
According to the Radio Times, which compiled the list of the celebrity brand premier league, products bearing Grossman's name earn £25m a year.
Grossman's range of foods are made by Premier Foods, which earlier this year expanded its Loyd Grossman sauces brand into the Chinese sector, with five new flavours: sweet & sour; Hong Kong curry; hoi sin; black bean sauce; and satay. The Chinese range followed the introduction of Loyd Grossman's Indian curry sauces, which was the brand's most successful launch to date, and sits alongside its Thai sauces in the Oriental market.
Television chefs do well on the list, with Antony Worrall Thompson, who featured in the second series of 'I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here' at number two on the list, earning £48m; and Ainsley Harriott, a long-time star of 'Ready Steady Cook' as well as host of several of his own series, at number four with £30m.
Rather more successful at selling cake than reviving a flagging soap opera, Jane Asher comes in at number three on the list, lending her name to a product range that is worth £41m. She has her own range of cake mixes, and also has a tie-in with the department store Debenhams.
The complete list includes:
1 Loyd Grossman (£50m)
2 Antony Worrall Thompson (£48m)
3 Jane Asher (£41m)
4 Ainsley Harriott (£30m)
5 Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen (£20m)
6 Jamie Oliver (£8m)
7 Linda Barker (£6m)
8 Alan Titchmarsh (£4m)
9 Nigella Lawson (£2m)
10 Delia Smith (£0m)
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client-side PPC / SEM executive - £25K - Central London Digital Gurus £23000 - £28000 per annum + benefits, City of London