Redhotcurry.com scoops Windrush internet award
LONDON - Redhotcurry.com, the lifestyle portal for UK Asians, has been voted the Outstanding Champion for the Internet & Technology category at this year's Windrush Achievement Awards 2003.
The business, which launched in November 2001, has built from scratch an online portal that supports the South Asian community at a local level in the UK and has seen a three-fold increase in the number of visitor statistics in just 12 months.
Page impressions have grown from 79,000 in the first quarter of 2002 to more than 234,000 page impressions in the first quarter of 2003. The increase in popularity led to the recent signing of a contract with digital media buying agency Ad2-one, bringing it into the same stable as other large sites like www.disney.co.uk and www.iii.co.uk.
Redhotcurry.com offers content ranging from South Asian Arts and culture to cooking, style, health and beauty as well as community news and viewpoint stories.
The site also offers interactive discussion groups, online chat, web-based email, e-newsletters and a comprehensive searchable UK South Asian restaurant directory.
Lopa Patel, editor of Redhotcurry.com, said: "I am absolutely thrilled to have won the Windrush Award. It is recognises the important role that the UK's 2.3m South Asians play in the wealth, stability and culture of modern Britain and, more importantly, how technology can be used to unite this ethnic community."
The Windrush Awards, named after the ship Empire Windrush, which brought the first West Indian immigrants to Britain, recognises the wealth of talent among African Caribbean, Asian and Oriental communities.
Other Asian Windrush winners included Krishnan Guru Murthy of Channel 4 News who won the Outstanding Merit Profile.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London