Yahoo! Europe creates top editorial role for Grimsdale
LONDON - Yahoo! Europe has hired Peter Grimsdale, the man credited with developing 'Big Brother''s hugely successful interactive element at Channel 4, to take the new post of editorial director.
In his role, Grimsdale will be responsible for content and services across all Yahoo! Europe's nine sites including the UK & Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Catalan and the Nordic region.
Grimsdale said he is excited to be joining a media company that puts interactivity at the heart of its relationship with consumers, "at a time when breakthroughs in both broadband and mobile communication are transforming the way we all think about content".
"My recent work in television has focused on extending content to the internet and to mobile services, this move is a fantastic opportunity to extend my experience of cross-platform content delivery with one of the best-known internet brands in the world," he said.
He will join Yahoo! Europe in September 2003 and will report directly to Martina King, managing director of country operations for Yahoo! Europe.
King said: "This appointment reflects the importance we place on having content, which engages with and exceeds the expectations of all our audiences. Peter will be undertaking an extremely important and vital role at Yahoo! Europe as we continue to improve and expand our offering."
Grimsdale quit Channel 4 at the end of May when the channel scaled back its interactive operations as part of chief executive Mark Thompson's ongoing cost-cutting strategy.
Grimsdale has more than 20 years' experience in television production including stints at the BBC and Channel 4.
He joined Channel 4 in 2000 as head of broadband from the BBC, where he held the post of head of its independent commissioning group overseeing shows such as 'Jamie's Kitchen' and 'The Royle Family' since 1999.
Before that he was head of history, religion and features at Channel 4 where he launched 'The Real Holiday Show', 'Adam & Joe, 'Takeover TV', 'Driven', 'Black Box' and edited the award-winning 'Witness', 'Secret History' and the 'Real Biography' series.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- SENIOR MARKETING MANAGER- Fashion retailer Success Digital £65000 per annum, London
- Client Director - Digital Agency - London £50-65k Adam Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Camden, London (Greater)
- Neolane Campaign Manager PFJ £300 - £400 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital Marketing Operations Jarlett de Grouchy £45000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager - consumer products ADLIB £38000 - £43000 per annum, Cornwall