Capital 95.8FM rebounds as Radio One continues its fall
LONDON – Capital Radio Group's London station 95.8 FM has rebounded following a troubled year, with its audience jumping 9% to 2.6m listeners in London, according to figures from Rajar.
The station, which has just announced a new management lineup, reported a share of 8.9%, a huge leap from last period's 8.1%.
There has been a great deal of speculation about whether Chris Tarrant will remain at the station but this has not affected its performance. The company has said it will make an announcement on Tarrant in November.
Capital's rise comes as sibling station XFM saw its London audience fall to 437,00 from 442,000. Its share of listeners in London was 1.1%, down from 1.7% in Rajar's last quarterly figures.
The news was not all bad for the alternative music station, however, as it reported its first national figures, including transmission on DAB digital radio, Sky digital, NTL and online, with a national reach of 606,000.
XFM's good news continued as the Christian O'Connell breakfast show saw its reach climb by 14% and its share remain stable.
Radio One's Sara Cox, on the other hand, lost 200,000 listeners.
In the three-month period to 30 June, Radio One appeared to be continuing to suffer at the hands of its commercial rivals' success, as its audience slipped beneath the 10m mark. Its weekly reach of 9.9m is down from 10.3m in the last quarter. Its share was 7.6% down from 7.9%.
Emap's Kiss FM benefited from Radio One's continuing demise, as its audience grew to 1.6m for the three months to June, up from 1.5m in the last quarter. Its share was stable at 4.6%.
Chrysalis-owned easy-listening station Heart showed its fourth consecutive quarterly increase, with a weekly reach of 1.9m and a share of 6.7%.
GWR's Classic FM was down on last quarter's 6.9m with a weekly reach of 6.6m listeners. Guardian Media Group's Jazz FM was stable on the last quarter with a weekly reach of 1.4m and a share of 0.7%.
Virgin Radio was up period on period with a weekly reach of 2.8m, as its London station boosted its figures to 1.1m following a dip last quarter. Virgin's total audience share of 1.6% was flat on last time; the share of its London station remained at 3.1%.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1