Leslie could return to Five after talks with Wright firm
LONDON - John Leslie could resurrect his career on Five as news emerges that he is in talks with the makers of 'The Matthew Wright Show', which originally named him as the presenter linked to allegations of rape made in Ulrika Jonsson's book.
The move is being seen as an attempt by Princess Productions, the TV production company that is behind Wright's morning chat show, to stave off legal action from Leslie, who was last week cleared of any charges after the key witness in the trial came forward with "unforeseeable" new information.
It was reported over the weekend that the woman whose case the Crown Prosecution service had rested around claimed to be the victim of two other sex assaults, but had only reported the one involving Leslie.
The CPS's fear was that in court she would be accused by the defence of taking only the charge against Leslie forward because he was a celebrity.
Reports suggest the approach by Princess could lead to Leslie dropping the legal action he is considering. However, representatives have dismissed the idea that they have anything to do with the legal action as speculation, according to a report in The Sunday Telegraph.
Leslie is represented by Taylor Herring PR, the same company that handles Matthew Wright, a fact that has added weight to suggestions that the talks are linked to averting a potential lawsuit.
Leslie's lawyers are expected to name the individuals and organisations he is going to sue next week.
The list is thought to include Wright, Princess and Granada Television, which is said to have sacked him over the allegations.
Last week it was reported that Leslie was in talks with Sky about a £1m TV deal, but the negotiations are understood to have collapsed at the end of last week.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Head Of Brand And Comms Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, South East
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Account Manager Twist Recruitment £35000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Trade Marketing Specialist - Online PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London
- Freelance Resource Manager Nakama £40,000-50,000, London