Stay sober and avoid shagging ugly people posters warn
LONDON - A new campaign will use talking posters in toilets to discourage drunkenness by warning people that they might end up having sex with someone ugly.
The new posters, part of the Portman Group's "If you do do drink, don't do drunk" campaign, will appear in toilets in pubs around England. Three executions, "Derek", "Daphne" and "Bryan" will talk to drinkers, warning them that their judgment might become clouded if they are the worse for wear.
The "Daphne" poster, featuring a woman with teeth that make Janet Street-Porter's look American, will appear in men's toilets and say: "Excuse me. Do you mind if I stare at your face a minute, I want to remember it for my dreams."
The "Derek" execution says: "When they made the alphabet, they should have put 'u' and 'i' together." The talking posters are motion sensitive and will go off when someone walks by.
The campaign will include posters in 200 bars and clubs, with the talking posters appearing in 25 of these, including London's Bar Soho and Break for the Border; Manchester's Havana; and Bar Med in Cardiff.
The Portman Group, set up by the alcohol industry to promote safe drinking, says that the campaign is mean to be a humorous approach to a serious problem.
Jean Coussins, Portman Group chief executive, said: "Talking posters give a new slant to the expression 'toilet humour' and we want them to surprise and engage people and to make them think about their drinking. We want people to enjoy their night out, but not to drink so much that they get in trouble."
The "Don't do drunk" campaign was created in-house and targets 18- to 24-year-olds. It has been running since March 2000, with research showing that around 1m young adults go out drinking with the intention of getting drunk every week.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Head Of Brand And Comms Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, South East
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Head of Packaging Ninesharp £40 - £50 per hour, Manchester
- Animator - Brand ID Periscope Recruitment LLP £250 - £350 per day, City of London
- Digital Marketing Executive Stopgap Competitive Salary, South East England