Stay sober and avoid shagging ugly people posters warn
LONDON - A new campaign will use talking posters in toilets to discourage drunkenness by warning people that they might end up having sex with someone ugly.
The new posters, part of the Portman Group's "If you do do drink, don't do drunk" campaign, will appear in toilets in pubs around England. Three executions, "Derek", "Daphne" and "Bryan" will talk to drinkers, warning them that their judgment might become clouded if they are the worse for wear.
The "Daphne" poster, featuring a woman with teeth that make Janet Street-Porter's look American, will appear in men's toilets and say: "Excuse me. Do you mind if I stare at your face a minute, I want to remember it for my dreams."
The "Derek" execution says: "When they made the alphabet, they should have put 'u' and 'i' together." The talking posters are motion sensitive and will go off when someone walks by.
The campaign will include posters in 200 bars and clubs, with the talking posters appearing in 25 of these, including London's Bar Soho and Break for the Border; Manchester's Havana; and Bar Med in Cardiff.
The Portman Group, set up by the alcohol industry to promote safe drinking, says that the campaign is mean to be a humorous approach to a serious problem.
Jean Coussins, Portman Group chief executive, said: "Talking posters give a new slant to the expression 'toilet humour' and we want them to surprise and engage people and to make them think about their drinking. We want people to enjoy their night out, but not to drink so much that they get in trouble."
The "Don't do drunk" campaign was created in-house and targets 18- to 24-year-olds. It has been running since March 2000, with research showing that around 1m young adults go out drinking with the intention of getting drunk every week.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London