Tories slam 33% rise in blizzard of government adspend
LONDON - The Tories have accused the government of using taxpayers' money to boost its image, after adspend rose by more than a third in the first eight months of the year, writes Jennifer Whitehead.
The government spent £62.7m on advertising across government departments between January and August, a rise of 33.8% on last year's figure for the same period of £46.8m. This includes a rise in internet advertising of almost 60% to £1.125m.
Some of the biggest advertising campaigns run by the government this year include a recruitment campaign for the Teacher Training Agency created by McCann-Erickson Manchester, and work by M&C Saatchi to promote the child tax credit.
The shadow secretary for culture, media and sport, John Whittingdale, said that the government had squandered £15m on advertising, while public services and pensions are in crisis.
"What people want is concerted action to solve the problems of our public services, to tackle the pensions crisis and to make us feel safe on our streets. Instead, all they get is a blizzard of advertising designed to con us into believing that they know what they are doing," he said.
The figures, from Nielsen Media Research, examine spending by COI Communications, the government agency that looks after advertising.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Corporate Marketing Manager University of Westminster £43, 272 p.a. (incl. L.W.A.), Central London