Mother hires ex-Nike ad director DeFlorio for New York
NEW YORK - Mother has extended its line-up in New York with the appointment of former Nike advertising director Rob DeFlorio, although there is still no launch date for its first US office.
DeFlorio joins Andrew Deitchman, formerly director of business development at Red Cell, and the Swedish creative team Linus Karlsson and Paul Malmstrom, who arrived from Fallon last month.
According to reports, DeFlorio will join to help build the New York office of Mother and prepare for its opening. He ran Nike's advertising from 1999 to 2002, during which time the company's "tag" ad, created by Wieden & Kennedy New York, won the coveted Grand Prix at the Cannes Advertising Festival. Since leaving Nike, he has been taking time out to travel.
He is a well-respected figure in the US industry, with a background on the agency side, having worked for Lowe & Partners and TBWA\Chiat\Day New York.
Mother has yet to announce which UK partners will be crossing the Atlantic to work in New York, or a firm opening date for what will be its second office.
The agency, founded six years ago, is run in London by four partners: Stef Calcraft, Andrew Medd, Mark Waites and Robert Saville. It has 70 staff and billings of £90m, and a reputation for doing things differently -- running without account handlers and refusing buyout offers from the large ad groups.
Mother is following in the footsteps of an earlier generation of independent creative agencies such as Bartle Bogle Hegarty, which also has expanded to New York.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London
- Brand / Senior Brand Consultant Rare Selection Salaries from £40K - £85K, Central London