Christmas set to be a good one for UK web retailers
LONDON - In the run-up to Christmas, traffic to shopping websites has reached its highest point of the year to date, with the retail sector accounting for 8.06% of all online traffic during September, according to Hitwise.
The traffic represents a 44% increase in market share to shopping sites, compared with the same period last year.
Shopping categories that have experienced a sizeable increase in market share in the last 12 months include auctions, clothing and accessories, and flowers and gifts sites.
Online grocery sites also had a good showing with visitors to Tesco remaining for an average of 21 minutes and 51 seconds, followed by Sainsbury's to You with 21 minutes and 13 seconds and Waitrose with 17 minutes and 14 seconds. Of the top five grocery sites by session duration, however, Ocado, which partners Waitrose, had the highest percentage of visitors bookmarking the site.
Top 10 shopping and classifieds sites by visits, September 2003
1. eBay UK 24.90%
2. Amazon UK 5.68%
3. eBay Shops UK 3.03%
4. MSN eShop 2.91%
5. eBay.com 2.90%
6. Tesco.com 1.50%
7. Kelkoo UK 1.41%
8. Amazon.com 1.22%
9. Argos.co.uk 0.92%
10. Play.com 0.85%
Top five grocery sites by average session time, September 2003
1. Tesco Superstore 21 min 51 sec
2. Sainsbury to You 21 min 13 sec
3. WaitroseDeliver 17 min 14 sec
4. Iceland Online Store 16 min 31 sec
5. Ocado 14 min 36 sec
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Corporate Marketing Manager University of Westminster £43, 272 p.a. (incl. L.W.A.), Central London