Sainsbury's to use Nectar data to help marketers
LONDON - Sainsbury's is to help marketers promote their products by using loyalty card data to give insight into what customers want from the supermarket's products and services.
The supermarket, part of the Nectar loyalty scheme along with retailers including Thresher and BP, is working with Lawson Software and TNS to provide analysis of its customers following a pilot scheme earlier this year.
The company quotes ACNielsen research saying that 90% of the 90,000 new products launched each year fail -- despite millions of pounds invested in advertising.
Andrew Ground, customer marketing director at Sainsbury's, said: "By providing suppliers with this information, they can develop products that put the customer even closer to the heart of our business and theirs. Working with TNS and Lawson, we are able to give more actionable and valuable information than we could using just loyalty card data."
Sainsbury's said the kind of information included unusual findings, such as the fact that people who buy dishwasher tablets are 20% more likely to also buy wine. Marketers will be able to find out information such as the repeat purchase rate of individual products, profiles of customers buying particular products and the most appropriate promotional tools to attract customers.
The company stressed that no personal details such as names and addresses would be released.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Sputh East
- Regional Assistant Brand Manager- Europe Ball & Hoolahan £25,000 per annum, South East