Sky One faces legal action over transsexual game show
LONDON - Six contestants are fighting to keep a Sky One reality TV show off the air after finding out that the woman whose affections they were competing for was, in fact, a transsexual man.
The show, 'There's Something About Miriam', was filmed in South America and is compered by former 'Blue Peter' presenter Tim Vincent. It is due to screen on November 16.
The programme features six contestants, who were competing to win the affections of a glamorous model called Miriam, and will show scenes of the men in a hot tub with Miriam, kissing and cuddling her.
But at the end of the show, the men find out what the viewers have known all along -- that Miriam is a man, a fact that is revealed when she lifts her skirt to show a full complement of male genitals.
According to a report in The Sun today, the six men, who include a lifeguard, a chef and a Royal Marine Commando, are bidding to have the show dropped. The newspaper reports that they have hired the law firm Schillings to take legal action against Sky and the production company Brighter Pictures, with the intention of suing for conspiracy to commit sexual assault, because they did not agree to be kissed and fondled by a man.
They could also attempt to sue for defamation, breach of contract and personal injury.
The paper also reports that they have also approached the Independent Television Commission to intervene on their behalf. However, the ITC is powerless to stop it from being shown, with a spokesman saying: "We wouldn't intervene until a programme has been broadcast."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire