Adidas to launch global ad blitz in 2004 as US sales fall
LONDON - Adidas is to launch a global advertising blitz in 2004 as it faces up to declining sales in the US and competition from rivals such as Nike and Puma.
The campaign is likely to break next spring and will make a brand statement. However, Adidas would not reveal further details nor how much it plans to spend on the initiative.
There are reports that it will be the biggest advertising campaign Adidas has ever undertaken in the US, where it will be repositioning its brand and would avoid using discounting as a way of increasing sales.
"We will strengthen our emotional connection with consumers in launching a global brand campaign. This will be our first major brand advertising in America in almost five years," said Herbert Hainer, chief executive of Adidas.
Sales in North America dropped by 13% over the past quarter to €459m (£274m), although there was a rise in European sales, as well as in Asia and Latin America. Adidas said that it would be meeting the full-year outlook for 2003.
Adidas sponsors some of the world's biggest sporting stars, including David Beckham, Zinedine Zidane and Anna Kournikova, all of who have appeared in advertising campaigns for the brand. It trails behind Nike in terms of sales and celebrity clout.
The company retains the Amsterdam-based agency 180 and TBWA\ to create global advertising campaigns, while Nike uses Wieden & Kennedy.
Beckham is currently starring alongside England rugby fly-half Jonny Wilkinson in a series of ads where the pair give each other tips on how to play their respective sports.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London