Nintendo spends £6m on pre-Christmas marketing push
LONDON - Nintendo is throwing £6m into a pre-Christmas marketing push in the UK as it takes on the might of Sony PlayStation2 and Microsoft's Xbox.
The spend is part of a €35m (£24.04m) pan-European campaign to capture sales of games and consoles in the run-up to Christmas. Nintendo has already slashed the price of its GameCube games console to £79 in the UK -- sparking a tenfold increase in sales in the first week.
The Japanese gaming company says that there will be a heavyweight advertising campaign on UK television and at cinemas to promote the launch of a new game, 'Mario Kart: Double Dash!!'. There will also be television advertising for the Player's Choice range of games, which includes 'Super Mario Sunshine' and 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'.
The company has also partnered with the Cartoon Network to create a four-month campaign called "Base Nintendo", which will appear on air. Kids can go online to BaseNintendo.co.uk to interact with the games and download screensavers.
Cinema ads will back the launch of the new Game Boy Advance game 'Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3' during the hit film 'Finding Nemo', as well as ads in kids' magazines and gaming titles and online. Pokemon will also be promoted with three new games.
Creative for the advertising campaign was by Leo Burnett Milan, while the UK media was through Starcom Motive.
Nintendo said that it will continue to promote the games and consoles with an online marketing presence of the next eight weeks.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Brand Consultant / Strategist Royds Raphael £80k-£90k+neg dep. on experience, London
- Senior Account Manager - Account Manager - Branding, Contract & Permanent Royds Raphael £38k-£44k / £170-£190 day rate. Permanent and/or contract role, London
- Head of Lead Generation - Full-Service Agency Silverdrum to £60,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Midlands