Nintendo spends £6m on pre-Christmas marketing push
LONDON - Nintendo is throwing £6m into a pre-Christmas marketing push in the UK as it takes on the might of Sony PlayStation2 and Microsoft's Xbox.
The spend is part of a €35m (£24.04m) pan-European campaign to capture sales of games and consoles in the run-up to Christmas. Nintendo has already slashed the price of its GameCube games console to £79 in the UK -- sparking a tenfold increase in sales in the first week.
The Japanese gaming company says that there will be a heavyweight advertising campaign on UK television and at cinemas to promote the launch of a new game, 'Mario Kart: Double Dash!!'. There will also be television advertising for the Player's Choice range of games, which includes 'Super Mario Sunshine' and 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'.
The company has also partnered with the Cartoon Network to create a four-month campaign called "Base Nintendo", which will appear on air. Kids can go online to BaseNintendo.co.uk to interact with the games and download screensavers.
Cinema ads will back the launch of the new Game Boy Advance game 'Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3' during the hit film 'Finding Nemo', as well as ads in kids' magazines and gaming titles and online. Pokemon will also be promoted with three new games.
Creative for the advertising campaign was by Leo Burnett Milan, while the UK media was through Starcom Motive.
Nintendo said that it will continue to promote the games and consoles with an online marketing presence of the next eight weeks.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London