Gadget Shop is first to trial mobile barcode coupons
LONDON – The Gadget Shop is claiming to have increased the average transaction value by 50% after it became the first high street retailer to run a mobile coupon campaign.
Shoppers on Oxford Street were sent an SMS message with an embedded barcode, offering 10% discount, redeemable at three of The Gadget Shops stores in Oxford Street, Covent Garden and The Trocadero.
The campaign, managed by mobile loyalty and coupon firm, m-bar-go, was delivered as a simple text message with an embedded barcode.
The message read 'Christmas has come early @ The Gadget Shop. Save 10% until 31/10/03 with this SMS. Pass it on'.
Recipients were asked to present their SMS at point-of-purchase, where the barcodes were read by The Gadget Shop's standard barcode reader.
Marc Lewis, founder of m-bar-go, said: "This being our first public trial, we were keen to learn how the public would react to offers being sent to their mobile phone. The Gadget Shop, because it is such an innovative retailer, was a natural choice for our first retailer programme and we were delighted with the response. To have increased the average transaction value by 50% is a clear endorsement of our product."
The bar code innovation is one of a number introduced following serial entrepreneur Chris Gorman's takeover of The Gadget Shop, as he looks to reinforce the reputation as the UK's dominant name in the gift market sector.
m-bar-go promises more trials in the New Year, with two food retailers, a newsagent and a music retailer.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Paid Social Manager - Leading Media Agency - Biddable Media Ultimate Asset £28000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Freelance Planner - FMCG, Pitches & Government Business Speckled Frog £250-£300 daily rate, possibly negotiable, dependent on experience, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London