Lowe leaps on publicity about Jonny's mum for Tesco ad
LONDON - Tesco has made the most of stories that Jonny Wilkinson's mum was shopping in one of its stores when her son sealed England's Rugby World Cup victory on Saturday with a one-off national press ad, writes Jennifer Whitehead.
The ad, which was the idea of Tesco's retained agency Lowe, features clippings of the many stories that appeared in Sunday's newspapers about Wilkinson's mother, Philippa, and uses the strapline "she shopped 'till he dropped".
The ads appear today in national newspapers including The Times, The Independent, The Guardian and The Daily Telegraph. Three of the tabloids, The Sun, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express, all wanted specific executions featuring their own press clippings.
Lowe executives had the idea for the ad, after reading reports that Wilkinson's mother was too nervous to watch the game, and instead went shopping in her local Tesco in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Other shoppers kept her informed of the score as she shopped.
Wikinson's mother was not the only family member to escape the tension. It emerged yesterday that Wilkinson's father, Phil, who was at the match in Sydney, also could not bear to watch the final moments of the game, when Wilkinson scored the drop goal that sealed England's 20-17 victory over Australia.
Adidas has also rushed out an ad in the wake of the victory, created by 180 Amsterdam. It showed Wilkinson with a pile of balls on a pitch and read "Monday, back to work" -- a comment on the fly half's now-legendary habit of practising goal kicks for several hours every day.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Marketing Partnerships Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London