David Bailey stars in first Olympus TV ads for four years
LONDON - The celebrated photographer David Bailey is the star of the first television advertising campaign for Olympus cameras to run in four years.
The campaign was created by Lowe and directed by Bailey, and will push one of Olympus' digital models in the run-up to Christmas. It plays off the idea that while we can't all be David Bailey, the next best thing is to own an Olympus Mju Digital camera.
In the ad 'present', a woman is shown wrapping up a Christmas gift. She needs more and more paper and it emerges that she is wrapping up a person who turns out to be David Bailey in a rather disgruntled mood. It ends with the line "Professional photographs without the professional".
A second spot builds on the theme, with Bailey being stuffed in a suitcase so he can be taken away on holidays.
Bailey, who is most famous for his work as a fashion photographer in the 1960s, starred in a number of famous Olympus ads during the 1980s.
The current campaign was created by Richard Littler and Zac Ellis at Lowe. It breaks on December 1 and will run on national and satellite television, with media planning and buying through Initiative.
Jeremy Bowles, managing director of Lowe, said: "There is so much affection for the Bailey and Olympus ads that it's great to be doing a new series. The reassurance that Bailey uses the camera remains as powerful as ever, particularly with the new digital range."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire