Smirnoff goes for impact with 60-foot high Imax ad
LONDON - Smirnoff is the first brand to advertise on the new Imax screen package, with a 60-second ad showing on the 60-foot high screens in London, Manchester and Bradford.
Carlton Screen Advertising is offering the new Imax package, which will give advertisers solus positioning on the three screens in the UK.
Smirnoff screened an ad that has already appeared on UK television. The "if Smirnoff made trunks" spot by J Walter Thompson shows a dolphin trainer stepping up when his charges refuse to perform a show at Seaworld. Carat handles media for Smirnoff.
Philip Gladman, brand director at Diageo, said: "The Smirnoff brand prides itself on being audacious, unexpected and intelligent and we are constantly looking at new directions designed to bring that brand philosophy to life."
Carlton Screen Advertising will expand the Imax package to three more screens in 2004 with launches in Bristol, Birmingham and Belfast. It is also looking at increasing the package to cover 36 sites in Europe and possibly North America.
The format was traditionally reserved for specially made documentaries, but new technology means that films shot in 35mm for general release can now be transferred to the Imax format. The second part of the Matrix trilogy was the first feature film to be released in the UK on Imax, and attracted large audiences, 47% of whom had never visited one of the theatres before.
James Dobbin, account director of sponsorship and promotions at Carlton Screen Advertising, said: "With Imax technology, nothing else exists in the viewer's visual field, making an Imax advert possibly the most impactful in the world."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Executive air recruitment Up to £22K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, Central London