Mother of all defeats, Britney more hated than Saddam
LONDON – What with the tantrums and falling record sales, things are going from bad to worse for Britney Spears, who now tops the chart for having more hate websites dedicated to her than either George W Bush or Saddam Hussein.
There are more than 2,000 websites that boast ''I hate Britney Spears'', including such sites as ihatebritneyspears.4t.com, which together make her the most hated celebrity on the web.
The results from Google come as Britney announces her US tour to back her new album "In the Zone".
According to David Poland, editor of moviecitynews.com, Britney's problems are all image-related. "Britney went from being the hip, hot young thing to someone who wants to be slutty but can't quite pull the trigger. When people think that you've misled them about what you really are, that's when the backlash really starts," he said.
Typing in "I hate Britney Spears" throws up more results than Justin Timberlake, Jennifer Lopez and Michael Jackson combined. Timberlake only racks up 206 sites while serial wife Lopez scores 163.
The sheer number of "I hate Britney" sites means she is one of a very few stars who have more anti-fan clubs than fan clubs. Britney can console herself with the fact that she is not alone in attracting public hostility. Avril Lavigne, Fred Durst, Gwyneth Paltrow and the US President are also among the most featured in hate sites.
The anti-Britney sites vary in tone with some claiming she has a terrible voice and makes up for it by stripping off. Another says on its homepage: "We're just a group of middle schoolers who hate, and I mean hate, Britney Spears! Not too unusual huh?"
Another says Britney has all the traits of a stripper.
"Her image has been continually updated from teenage tease belting out provocative lyrics to a full-fledged slut. She being true to her part as shed herself of all dignity losing most of her clothing in the process. She has adopted the mannerisms of a stripper," it says.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London