Beckhams spoof 'Bewitched' in latest Japanese spot
TOKYO - David and Victoria Beckham have made their latest cringe-worth appearance in an advertisiement, this time spoofing the 1960s TV show 'Bewitched', as part of their £2m contract with a Japanese cosmetics company.
The ad will only be shown in Japan, promoting the Tokyo Beauty Centre, and has been branded by the News of the World as "cheesy". The newspaper describes the pair's performance as "acting hari-kiri".
The spot is set in a kitsch 1960s kitchen and sees Victoria start off dressed drably in a T-shirt, while David says "You're looking tasty today, Victoria". Magically she appears wearing a glamorous new outfit, and then into another outfit, as David says: "Hmm, you're looking better by the minute."
Victoria says: "What's happening to me?"
In days gone, stars hoped that they could get away with appearing in ads in Japan promoting products that they would not be connected with in their own countries. But now with sites such as Japander.com, the ads, which are often very cheesy compared with Western tastes, can be viewed on the internet.
This is not the first ad that Posh and Becks have made for the Japanese cosmetics firm Tokyo Beauty Centre. In an earlier spot, the couple are shown lounging around their apartment and attending a premier, looking glamorous.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- General Manager - Integrated Advertising Agency - Dubai MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- MIDWEIGHT DESIGNER - award winning global agency! Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London