'Morally offensive' Jesus Jeans loses UK trademark fight
LONDON - Luxembourg-based clothing brand Jesus Jeans has had its application for a trademark in the UK turned down by the Patent Office because the name is deemed 'morally offensive'.
The brand has successfully registered the name Jesus in Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, France, Italy, and Spain, but its rejection in the UK is not the first.
As well as the UK, it has been rejected in Germany, Switzerland, China, Hungary and Ireland.
The Patent Office registrar said the name would cause greater offence than mere distaste to a significant section of the general public, based on the view of a "right thinking member of the public".
He said the name was was "contrary to public policy or to accepted principles of morality".
However, in 1997 the Patent Office approved French Connection's application to register FCUK as a brand.
In the case of Jesus Jeans, the Patent Office argued that the name Jesus would be "debased" if it were used to sell jeans and other products offered by the company such as soap, scent and shoes.
The ruling said the value of the name lay in the belief of Christians that Jesus is the Son of God, and although other religions were practised in the UK, most British people would associated only this meaning to the word.
The company that owns the brand, Basic Trademark, argued that the name Jesus is a popular name and that there was a difference between offence that amounted to distaste, and that of offence that would cause outrage or attract censure by undermining religious values.
Lawyers acting for Basic Trademark, WH Beck Greener & Co, told The Times: "Moral grounds should only be raised where there is a question of public order. The use of the word 'Jesus' as a mark is not likely to inflame public disorder."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London