Louis Vuitton dumps J-Lo as the face of its advertising
LONDON – Fashion brand Louis Vuitton, best know for its luxury bags, has dumped actress and singer Jennifer Lopez after her diva-like demands went too far at a recent shoot.
The star, whose last movie 'Gigli' was a box-office disaster, is reported to have been dropped by the fashion label after she finished a shoot and walked away with thousands of pounds worth of Louis Vuitton goods.
The star, who is engaged to Ben Affleck, took a fancy not just to one or two items, but bags full of shoes, handbags and dresses, according to a report in The Sun newspaper.
It is estimated that the star walked away with more than £5,000 worth of Louis Vuitton goods.
A source quoted by the paper, said: "There is an unwritten understanding that whenever someone does one of our shoots they can help themselves to a few things. These are pieces they have worn and really taken a shine to. But Jennifer totally went to town and pretty much emptied the studio."
According to the source, J-Lo got her staff to bag up items worth thousands and took just about everything on the set. She even sent back one of her flunkies to pick up some socks.
Louis Vuitton, which is owned by French holding company LVMH, is reported to have lined up models Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell to replace the Latino actress in future television and poster advertising.
Louis Vuitton signed the singer-actress for its autumn and winter advertising campaign back in April in a £2m deal.
At the time, designer Marc Jacobs said he wanted a "contemporary icon" to represent the company and sought "a sophisticated, influential and sexy woman".
There was speculation when she was appointed that Lopez might appear in ads alongside her fiance Affleck, along similar lines to Victoria Beckham, who persuaded husband David to appear with her in spots for the Tokyo Beauty Centre in Japan.
When Jacobs named Lopez as the new face of Louis Vuitton, fashion pundits called the move "a stroke of genius". It was hoped that in choosing Lopez, Louis Vuitton would be able to expand its reach into the hip hop crowd that forms part of her musical fan base.
Lopez took over as the face of the fashion brand from former Wonderbra model Eva Herzigova.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- PPC Executive - Digital Media Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London