Discovery signs international mobile deal with Vodafone
LONDON – Discovery Networks International has signed its first international mobile deal with Vodafone, which will see it provide images and ringtones from its diverse family of channels.
The first downloads on offer are being taken from the Discovery channels Animal Planet and Discovery Home & Leisure, two of the 10 channels owned by the Discovery Channel.
Tanya Field, vice-president of new media at Discovery Networks International, said: "This announcement is the latest step in Discovery's strategy of offering customers content whenever, wherever and by whatever means they want it. Currently, we are also working to develop a whole portfolio of new services over the coming months that will include games and downloadables."
The UK will serve as a test bed to determine the rollout of similar initiatives across other international regions and Discovery expects to announce further territories the first half of 2004.
UK subscribers of Vodafone Live! can sign up for a free daily text alert and purchase a selection of Discovery images and tones on offer. Examples of images range from Egyptian pyramids to astronauts and surfers. Available ringtones include dinosaur roars as well as the distinctive call of wolves and whales.
Discovery has been developing its new-media strategy over the past year and this announcement is one in a series of deals to be announced across wireless, narrow and broadband and interactive television.
Discovery channels also include Discovery People & Arts, Discovery Home & Leisure, Discovery Health, Discovery Civilisation, Discovery Science, Discovery Travel & Adventure, Discovery Kids and Discovery Wings.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Biddable Media Manager PPC - Cracking Client Accounts! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £37000 per annum + Amazing Benefits , London
- Senior Digital Designer Gemini Search £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Strategic Search Manager - PPC - LUXURY BRAND Ultimate Asset £25000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London