Five moves upmarket with boost for science and history
LONDON – Five is continuing its move upmarket with plans to strengthen its science and history programming in a further move away from its roots of 'films, f***ing and football'.
The move sees the terrestrial broadcaster strengthen its factual department with the appointment of separate heads of science and history for the first time.
Justine Kershaw has been promoted to controller of science, while Alex Sutherland has been made controller of history. The two were previously joint deputy controllers of factual. They will report to Dan Chambers, who has been promoted to director of programmes.
"Justine has a proven record with science programmes. I'm sure her unique ability will further strengthen this very important part of our output. Alex has a strong journalistic background. She has had a fantastic year with a great slate of shows and she will be a huge asset to the team," Chambers said.
The channel's science content will range from highbrow documentaries with eminent scientists to technology series and strands investigating the science behind human interest stories.
Its history content will continue to cover contemporary subjects, as well as traditional areas like ancient history and great kings and queens.
Five's programming department has undergone a shake-up since Kevin Lygo announced his plans to return to Channel 4 after two years away to become the broadcaster's director of television.
During Lygo's rein, Five has moved further away from the image it had when it launched as the home of "films, fucking and football", according to a famous quote from departed chief executive Dawn Airey, who is now at BSkyB.
Lygo's last move was to axe the channel's late-night soft porn content.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Account Executive Adam Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, Liverpool
- Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits, Manchester
- Search Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, Manchester
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London