Puma uses Jamaican athletes in first US television push
NEW YORK - Puma is to launch its first television advertising campaign in the US, as it tries to move beyond its fashion image, based on Puma's involvement with the Jamaican Olympic team as part of a global advertising campaign.
There are eight different executions in the campaign, called "Stick stick stick". Four different Jamaican athletes are featured, including: Usain Bolt; Lorraine Fenton, Olympic Silver Medallist; Davian Clarke, Olympic relay member; and three-time Olympian Juliet Campbell.
The ads are set in typical Jamaican settings, such as a jerk chicken stand and a dancehall. The athletes pass a relay baton to locals, with normal people magically finding a pair of Pumas appearing on their feet with a "boing" noise accompanying the change. The ad is set to the track 'All Out' by Elephant Man and ends with the tagline "Puma -- proud sponsor of the Jamaican Olympic Team on their road to Athens".
The light-hearted tone is a world away from the serious tone of campaign such as Adidas's "Impossible is nothing" spots, which use high-profile athletes such as Muhammad Ali, David Beckham and Ian Thorpe. Puma's ad has already screened in Europe across MTV, as well as on local stations.
The German sportswear company has created some of its advertising in-house, most recently last summer's fashion-led print campaign by the London-based photographer Juergen Teller, but it also retains the agency Gyro Worldwide, which created this television campaign.
As well as its global advertising push, Puma has signed with the famous designer Philippe Starck to have him create a new range of shoes.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Senior Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Head of Advertising Operations (Ad Ops) - AGENCY Harnham £40000 - £60000 per annum + Bonus & excellent benefits, West End
- Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £26000 - £35000 per annum, London