Tories spoof Barker DFS ads in dig at 'credit card' Brown
LONDON - The Conservative Party spoofs Linda Barker's ads for DFS sofas in a new poster campaign attacking Gordon Brown, whom it has dubbed the 'credit card' Chancellor.
The new poster ad, created in-house by the Tory Party marketing director Will Harris who reports to joint chairman Lord Saatchi, shows Brown sitting on a sofa in a ruffled shirt with his legs crossed. Above him, in the spot normally occupied by former 'Changing Rooms' presenter Linda Barker, is Tony Blair with the headline "Labour's Special Offer. You won't pay until 2005".
The ad criticises the Labour Party for heavy borrowing, warning that there will be tax rises following the next election. It will run over Easter in shopping centres and supermarkets, with media through Havas-owned Media Planning Group.
Tory Party leader Michael Howard labelled Brown's Budget a "credit card Budget from a credit card Chancellor" last week and said that it would mean tax rises if Labour won a third term in power.
Howard hit out at the way the Chancellor is resorting to another massive rise in public borrowing to finance his ambitious spending programmes.
Harris, who joined the Conservatives in November from mobile phone firm O2, told the Mail on Sunday: "We have to recognise that for many people buying a sofa is a more interesting part of life than Michael Howard's view on the economy."
He said that the party wanted to get away from the "demon eyes" type of advertising and create something with more of a sense of humour.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- Classified Sales Executive Lipton Fleming £20000.00 per annum + commission, London
- Agency Account Manager (Outdoor) Lipton Fleming £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + 25% bonus, London