Coca-Cola drops plans to reintroduce Dasani to the UK
LONDON - Coca-Cola has halted plans to reintroduce its purified tap water brand Dasani back into the UK after last week's health scare, and has frozen plans to launch the drink in France and Germany.
The news follows last Friday's health scare that saw 500,000 bottles pulled off UK shelves after it was revealed that Dasani contained higher-than-expected levels of the chemical bromate, which could cause an increased cancer risk.
In a statement Coca-Cola said it had full confidence in Dasani despite the setback and did not rule out reintroducing the drink into the UK at some future date.
"Dasani is a proven success story in other parts of the world and we see no reason why it could not be so in Europe. But now is not the right time to bring it back to the market," Coca-Cola said in its statement.
However industry analysts have said that the brand could have suffered irreparably in UK, hit first by the news that Dasani was little more than filtered tap water and then by a health scare.
Marketing consultant Allyson Stewart-Allen said: "It's now going to be next to impossible for Coke to relaunch Dasani in the UK."
The French and German launches were seen as key markets for Dasani but the problems in the UK have tainted any launch, making it a difficult uphill struggle.
In the UK Coca-Cola had already spent £1.75m of a planned £7m launch advertising campaign created by Lowe & Partners.
The launch was blown out of the water only weeks after it debuted when it was revealed that Dasani is made from Thames tap water at a factory in Sidcup, Kent.
Coca-Cola defended the brand saying that it put the water through a "highly sophisticated purification process".
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Creative Artworker: InDesign,Illustrator,Photoshop,Typography Creative Recruitment £26000 - £30000 per annum, Surrey
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London