Capital launches TV ads for Johnny's breakfast show
LONDON – Capital Radio is to launch a TV and poster advertising campaign this Friday to back next week's launch of the Johnny Vaughan Breakfast Show on 95.8 Capital FM.
The campaign, created by Delaney Lund Knox Warren, tells the story of Vaughan's journey to work via various London attractions.
The ad opens with Vaughan waiting at a bus stop singing 'Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner', and goes on to show him singing and dancing with passengers on the Tube, tourists at the Tate and roadsweepers in Trafalgar Square.
The ad, which will air on ITV, Channel 4 and MTV, ends with Vaughan arriving at work, where co-host Becky Jago asks, "Good journey to work?" to which Vaughan replies, "Oh, the usual".
The campaign also features outdoor activity, including underground and bus rear posters and a four-page wrap-around on commuter title Metro, on Monday April 19, Vaughan's first day. It will appear on 50,000 copies of the normal print run of 460,000 in a deal was brokered through ZenithOptimedia.
Vaughan replaces Chris Tarrant on the breakfast show in a bid to persuade new listeners to sample Capital. Tarrant leaves the station after 17 years.
The campaign coincides with Capital's nearest rival, Heart 106.2FM, launching its own marketing blitz. A £1m TV campaign for Jono and Harriet called 'Chemistry' aims to outline the bond between hosts Jono Coleman and Harriet Scott. The campaign is due to run for six weeks across Carlton, Channel 4, Five and GMTV.
In the latest set of Rajar figures, Capital's breakfast show had managed to widen the gap between itself and Heart. It added 150,000 listeners from the last quarter and market share had increased from 7.6% to 8.9%.
Johnny Vaughn's new show will also compete with the likes of Pete and Geoff's breakfast show on Virgin Radio, Christian O'Connell's on sister station Xfm and Radio 1's breakfast show, presented by Chris Moyles.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London