Jackie Cooper PR sells up to Edelman after 17 years
LONDON - One of the biggest names on the UK consumer PR scene, Jackie Cooper Public Relations, has been bought by independent US agency Edelman.
The deal, for undisclosed terms, will mean Edelman has a substantially increased consumer PR presence in London, building on its European consumer practice.
JCPR will retain its name, staff and offices, with founders Robert Phillips and Jackie Cooper tied in to remain with the agency for at least six years. Combined with Edelman's London operation, the agency will have 165 staff, 75 from JCPR, and billings of more than £15m.
The agency was founded 17 years ago and is most famous for handling the PR campaign that brought Wonderbra's "Hello Boys" ad, created by TBWA\London, to the attention of the world. More recently, it masterminded the PR behind the final Concorde flight. Current clients include Allied Domecq, Mary Kate & Ashley and Wembley Stadium.
Cooper and Phillips said that they had approached Richard Edelman, president and CEO of Edelman, after having known him for more than 10 years.
Phillips said: "We have been approached by many publicly owned conglomerates, but were always put off by their focus on profit margins over creativity, quality and client service. Edelman has the global scale as well as the entrepreneurial and creative spirit we need."
The pair will report to Edelman European president and CEO David Brain.
"By joining with JCPR, we now have the leading creative engine in Europe's consumer and brand PR market; our combined capabilities put us in a strong position to enter the next stage of expansion and growth in Europe," Brain said.
Edelman's consumer clients include Taiwanese electronics brand BenQ and Coca-Cola Great Britain, a former client of JCPR. Edelman is the biggest independent public relations firm in the world.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London