Statement by the BBC's Board of Governors on appointment of Mark Thompson
The Board of Governors has today concluded its process to select a BBC Director-General by appointing Mark Thompson.
The decision was unanimous. In considering the requirements of the role, the Governors sought a candidate with unquestionable public service credentials and commitment to the BBC's editorial mission.
They also required a candidate with the qualities to lead the BBC successfully through the Charter review process.
Speaking on behalf of the Board, BBC Chairman Michael Grade said: "We were impressed by Mark Thompson's analysis of the challenges facing the BBC, and by his track record. We concluded that he was the right person to lead the BBC at this important period in its history.
"All the Governors wish to place on record their immense gratitude to Mark Byford for his outstanding stewardship of the BBC over the last few difficult months."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire