Statement by the BBC's Board of Governors on appointment of Mark Thompson
The Board of Governors has today concluded its process to select a BBC Director-General by appointing Mark Thompson.
The decision was unanimous. In considering the requirements of the role, the Governors sought a candidate with unquestionable public service credentials and commitment to the BBC's editorial mission.
They also required a candidate with the qualities to lead the BBC successfully through the Charter review process.
Speaking on behalf of the Board, BBC Chairman Michael Grade said: "We were impressed by Mark Thompson's analysis of the challenges facing the BBC, and by his track record. We concluded that he was the right person to lead the BBC at this important period in its history.
"All the Governors wish to place on record their immense gratitude to Mark Byford for his outstanding stewardship of the BBC over the last few difficult months."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Direct Recruitment £32,000 +, London (Central), London (Greater)
- planning director > ATL > LONDON's BEST collectivo Up to £100,000 per annum + benefits, London