Statement by the BBC's Board of Governors on appointment of Mark Thompson
The Board of Governors has today concluded its process to select a BBC Director-General by appointing Mark Thompson.
The decision was unanimous. In considering the requirements of the role, the Governors sought a candidate with unquestionable public service credentials and commitment to the BBC's editorial mission.
They also required a candidate with the qualities to lead the BBC successfully through the Charter review process.
Speaking on behalf of the Board, BBC Chairman Michael Grade said: "We were impressed by Mark Thompson's analysis of the challenges facing the BBC, and by his track record. We concluded that he was the right person to lead the BBC at this important period in its history.
"All the Governors wish to place on record their immense gratitude to Mark Byford for his outstanding stewardship of the BBC over the last few difficult months."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- PPC Executive - Leading Digital Marketing Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London