PHD wins £3m eBay media account ahead of offline push
LONDON - Grey Global Group's MediaCom has lost the £3m media account for online auction house eBay to Omnicom Group's PHD after a four-way pitch.
Starcom and Mediaedge:cia also took part in the media review, which was overseen by Simon Darling, who was appointed eBay group marketing director last year.
The appointment comes as eBay is gearing up for its first major offline advertising push in the UK. In March, the online auction site named Delaney Lund Knox Warren to its creative account after a pitch against Joshua, DFGW and Ogilvy & Mather.
At the same time as it appointed DLKW, eBay hired Iain Hildreth from Barclays as head of brand and advertising, reporting to group marketing director Simon Darling.
EBay is reported to be planning an extensive campaign in an attempt to grow as a global brand. It has already used offline advertising in Germany and the US, where its business is handled by San Francisco agency Goodby Silverstein & Partners.
The company's UK consumer PR account is also out to pitch after the appointment of Victoria Sayers as its first head of PR for the UK. It has been held by Joe Public Relations for four years.
EBay reported that global net revenues increased by 59% year on year to £424.2m in the quarter to March 31.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London