Wrigley plays on clean teeth sell
SINGAPORE: Marking the return of chewing gum sales in Singapore after a 12-year absence, Wrigley has chosen to focus on the therapeutic benefits of the Orbit and Orbit White brands.
The Leo Burnett campaign began with teaser ads that ran in the major local dailies prior to the launch of Orbit on May 21. Burnett Singapore managing director John O'Shea said: "The campaign needed to achieve two objectives; to build up a sense of something dramatic happening in Singapore, and communicate the products' unique benefits. We developed a series of teasers leading to an announcement ad, which showed how the number of smiles in Singapore was going to increase after May 21."
O'Shea said the agency had been given a simple brief: "Orbit equals clean, healthy teeth", based on Wrigley's claim that the products help remineralise tooth enamel. The advertisements use a series of analogies depicting how the Orbit pellets fit into the process of achieving clean teeth. These range from pellets forming teeth in a smiling mouth, to the pellets replacing the bristles of a toothbrush... simple, powerful and unmistakably Orbit," said O'Shea.
Burnett won the Wrigley account for Singapore in a competitive pitch (Media, May 7), with Starcom on media and Lizard Storm handling publicity and events.
Wrigley's relaunch comes after Singapore made allowances for the sale of chewing gum with therapeutic value under the US-Singapore Free Trade Agreement signed last year. The products are only sold at pharmacies.
This article was first published on Media Asia
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- Head of New Media Department for Work and Pensions Salary £60,030 to £72,880., Westminster
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire