Kwik-Fit joins DMGT as Telegraph sale reaches end stage
LONDON – The Telegraph Group's new owner is set to be revealed within days as it emerged that frontrunner Daily Mail & General Trust has linked up with CVC Capital Partners, the venture capital firm that owns car repair business Kwik-Fit and Debenhams, in its bid to take over the titles.
This week marks the final phase of the long-running bidding process for the group, which includes The Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph and The Spectator, when the investment bank handling the sale Lazard will seek to gain the highest price for the business.
Those still in the running are: Scotsman and The Business owners the Barclay brothers; venture capitalist firm 3i; and Viscount Rothermere's DMGT, which is leading the pack after linking up with CVC to offer a knockout bid of £700m.
The teaming up with CVC, which will have a majority stake if successful, could also help DMGT regarding regulatory hurdles, because the move could still be blocked by the Competition Commission and possibly Ofcom.
It is understood that if the authorities do block DMGT's involvement, CVC is seeking an £50m "insurance policy" from Viscount Rothermere because it would then have to go it alone with the purchase, according to a report in The Times today.
Trade and industry secretary Patricia Hewitt has the power to block deals between media firms on public interest grounds and the government is certain to be uneasy at the prospect of two high-circulation Conservative newspapers under the same roof. The House of Commons culture committee could also get involved.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)