Xfm team make it into the top 10 with football anthem
LONDON - It might not have worked out so well on the field, but alternative radio station Xfm was still celebrating after its football song backing England, 'Born in England', made it into the top 10 last night.
Twisted X entered the charts at number nine last night, behind two other Euro 2004 football songs as England crashed to a 2-1 defeat to France.
Despite 'Born in England', created by the Xfm breakfast show band Twisted X, being the bookmakers' favourite to take the number one spot it was not able to fight off competition from the official Football Association-backed 'Altogether Now', a reworking by the Liverpool band The Farm, and 'Come on England' by 4-4-2 -- a reworking of the Dexy's Midnight Runners song 'Come on Eileen'.
'Come on England' was the highest entry at number two followed by 'All Together Now' at number five, and none of the football trio were able to move Mario Winans from the number one spot.
The Xfm song was produced by an all-star indie line-up featuring members of Supergrass and the Delays, as well as the Xfm breakfast show team, Christian O'Connell and Chris Smith, and 'Cold Feet' and 'Murphy's Law' star James Nesbitt, who is a friend of the show.
Prior to its release, the Xfm bookies Ladbrokes slashed the odds for 'Born in England' after punters poured in to back it for number one.
'Altogether Now' was first released in 1990 and was 3/1 to reach the top slot. The revamped version of the song was remixed by DJ Spoony and features vocals from the St Francis Xavier Boys Choir.
'Born in England' has been released in support of charity Help a Local Child.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)