Diary: Stories we could tell ... Love triumphs in sweaty challenge
The time it takes a woman to answer that all-important marriage proposal can be pretty nerve-wracking for any man, so imagine what it must have been like for Phil Todd of Branded Asia, who had to wait a couple of hours while his paramour mulled it over.
Todd, however, wasn't waiting with bated breath in a fancy restaurant or on a deserted beach but running, climbing, swimming, abseiling, canoeing and biking across Macau earlier this month in the gruelling Action Asia Challenge, together with girlfriend, Lani Awal.
Todd popped the question outside the beautiful San Francisco church in the picturesque Coloane village, after a mere 1.5km run, five km mountain bike ride, another three km run, another six km bike ride and yet another two km run - scarcely half way through the race.
Diary understands that Todd stipulated Awal didn't have to reply till the race was done. In other words, not until they had both scrambled over rocks, abseiled down cliff faces, scaled rope-ladders, swum the ocean (against the current) and got back on mountain bikes before kayaking the Taipa-Macau waterway, running up and down the Macau tower, one of the 10 tallest free-standing structures in the world. Perhaps it was all that adrenaline, but Awal still had enough breath left to say yes, and Todd was able to muster the requisite strength to carry her over the finishing line. For all you die-hard romantics out there, it was all captured on camera and will soon be coming to a TV screen near you, courtesy of ESPN and other regional broadcasters. Congratulations to the pair and may they run many more races together.
We would also like to extend our congratulations to Adrian King of MediaCom Asia Pacific, together with teammate, Henrique Galvao, winners of this year's Action Asia Challenge, completing the course in just over four hours. Next year's race, which again will be held in Macau, has a lot to live up to.
This article was first published on Media Asia
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London
- Senior Account Director > TOP NOTCH FMCG BRANDS > REPORTING TO MD collectivo Up to £60,000 pa, London (East), London (Greater)