Hytner quits ITV for top marketing position at Barclays
LONDON - Jim Hytner, the ITV marketing director, has quit after three years to take the same post at high street bank Barclays, replacing Simon Gulliford who quit last month.
The loss of Hytner, who was behind the rebranding of ITV in 2003 in the run-up to the £5.5bn merger Carlton and Granada, comes as the network is under increasing pressure as audience figures drop off and a revenue shortfall as high as £100m is being talked of.
His departure to one of the network's biggest advertisers comes as ITV chief executive Charles Allen is under renewed pressure, with investors again reported to be lobbying for former BBC director-general Greg Dyke to take over.
Hytner joined ITV three years ago from what was then Channel 5, where he held the role of director of marketing and new business.
Hytner, who is 40 this year, joined Channel 5 in 1998 with responsibility for all aspects of marketing and communication. Before that, he was the marketing director at BSkyB.
Gulliford, who was ranked the 14th most-powerful marketer in Marketing's Power 100 league table last year, left to resume his consultancy career.
He was behind the appointment of Bartle Bogle Hegarty to Barclays' £25m ad account, which saw the introduction of its "Fluent in finance" strapline in the long-running campaign fronted by 'Pulp Fiction' star Samuel L Jackson.
According to a report in the Financial Times, ITV has appointed Bird & Co, the executive search firm, to find a successor.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London