Sutherland plays wise man to cynic Oldman for Barclays
LONDON - Donald Sutherland plays a wise old man who grows money on trees alongside Gary Oldman's cynical character in the latest 'fluent in finance' campaign for Barclays.
Created by Bartle Bogle Hegarty, the first ad in a series of three will break this Friday. Oldman, star of 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' and Sutherland, who appeared in 'Don't Look Now', have replaced Samuel L Jackson, who starred in a number of ads for the bank.
The new spot is about the $1,000bn that Barclays Group's investment arm manages. Sutherland is a wise old man who grows and nurtures money on trees. He tries to convince a cynical character, played by Oldman, that young saplings can grow into vast forests of money trees as a result of being cared for by the right people.
Sara Deeks, brand strategy director for Barclays, said: "The new advertising is very much an evolution of our current strategy and will continue to reinforce our brand promise of delivering value through financial expertise -- the 'fluent in finance' strapline will continue to be used."
The second ad will highlight Barclays specialist services by showing that different species of money tree need different knowledge, and the third ad will see Sutherland explaining to Oldman the importance of a good range of tools in growing the money tree to its full potential.
The campaign was directed by Dante Ariola, with media planning and buying through Starcom Motive. As well as the television ads, there will be press and outdoor advertising.
Bartle Bogle Hegarty has also recently unveiled a new campaign for Barclaycard, this time starring Jennifer Aniston in a bid to appeal to women.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Digital Strategist - Growth & Innovation Consultancy Rare Selection Up to £50K + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Consultant - 2 vacancies Rare Selection £60 - £80K + 30% bonus, 8% pension, and excellent benefits, London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection Highly competitive, Central London
- Senior Consultant Brand Strategy Rare Selection Up to £68K + benefits, South West London
- Campaign Delivery Executive Stopgap £20000 - £23000 per annum, London