Business Post clinches Powergen from Royal Mail
LONDON – Powergen, the energy supplier, has deserted Royal Mail for rival private company Business Post, marking a further blow for the public postal operator.
The move marks the second large business win for Business Post since it began operations in the UK in May. The other is believed to be Singlepoint, the Vodafone-owned mobile phone network.
Business Post's UK Mail division will handle around 30m-35m items for the giant utilities company this year, including bills and direct mail.
UK Mail is understood to be targeting telecoms and ultiities firms, government agencies and mail order companies.
UK Mail collects and sorts mail from its customers, which is then taken to Royal Mail to deliver.
Paul Carvell, chief executive of UK Mail, claims that the company will generate £13m-£15m of revenues this year. By the end of its third year, the company aims to be turning over £150m a year, giving it around 3% of the domestic postal market. Business Post's shares climbed from 7.5p to 539p yesterday.
Powergen is the UK's second-biggest energy supplier with 6m domestic gas and electricity customers.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Online TradingManager Premier Consultants c.£45k plus bonus , Central London
- Account Director - Integrated / [CARS] - Global Agency - to £55k pending experience Fill Recruitment to £55k plus superb benefits, London (Greater)