Southeast Asia: After 26 years, Abrera retires from McCann
MANILA: Emily Abrera has retired as chairman of McCann-Erickson Philippines, and has been succeeded by the agency's chief executive officer, Patricia Arches.
Abrera joined McCann Erickson in 1978 as creative group head. Her rise was meteoric, establishing her as one of the country's finest creatives. With the combined force of Abrera and her predecessors Don Dillon and Ray Dempsey, McCann was catapulted to the number one spot in 1987 by winning the San Miguel Beer account.
McCann has remained at the top since then. It continues to handle San Miguel, Coca-Cola, Unilever and Globe Telecom.
Abrera became the first Filipino president of the Manila office, as well as the first Filipino woman president of a multinational ad agency. Her ascension to the McCann presidency in 1992 coincided with the Philippine constitution mandating the nationalisation of agencies. She said her legacy was in having turned the agency into "a soft-hearted giant", a big business with a human face. She also mobilised McCann's clout for public service campaigns, tackling issues such as women's and children's rights, to the environment and voter enlightenment. Abrera has accepted the chairman emeritus role and she will help set up McCann's brand consultancy.
This article was first published on Media Asia
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London