Nickelodeon tells kids to go out and play for anniversary
LONDON - Children's television station Nickelodeon, home of shows including 'Spongebob Squarepants', is hosting a 'worldwide day of play' this autumn, which involves the blacking out of programming to encourage children to go outside to play.
The station has announced that on October 2 it will go dark for three hours from noon in an attempt to promote healthy lifestyles and the importance of play.
When programming resumes later in the day, the station will stage a series of events continuing the healthy lifestyle theme, including video updates from locally organised "worldwide day of play" events, a live event in the evening and online healthy living messages. The event is part of Nickelodeon's 25th anniversary celebrations this year.
Events being televised are taking place in India, the Philippines, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia and the US.
Cyma Zarghami, Nickelodeon Television president, said: "Pre-empting programming on a Saturday is one part of our overall commitment to empower kids to get up, get moving and achieve a healthy life balance.
"These on-air events and the 'worldwide day of play' itself are the next steps in our goal to help kids get the resources needed to live and learn about active, positive lifestyles."
Marva Smalls, Nickelodeon public affairs executive vice-president, added: "As part of our efforts to confront the obesity issue and to make a difference in kids' lives, the messages we're sending are designed to empower kids with information they can use to make better, healthier choices in their lives."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire