Man Utd helps out hometown in US tourism campaign
LONDON - Manchester United and tourism partnership, Marketing Manchester, have linked up to promote the city as a holiday destination, with efforts getting under way during the team's pre-season tour of the US.
This is the first time the promotional body has linked up with Manchester United for one of its pre-season friendly world tours. Events so far have included a drinks reception, held yesterday prior to the team's match against German side, Bayern Munich, in Chicago, which they lost on penalties.
Marketing Manchester's chief executive, Andrew Stokes, and head of tourism development, Mike Todd, are in the US as part of this latest push, which also involves Visit Britain.
It is also expected that the football team and Marketing Manchester will link up in the coming months to produce joint PR campaigns, which will include promoting the club's soccer school, museum and conference facilities.
A Marketing Manchester spokeswoman said: "Manchester United is a brand name with unparalleled international recognition. Marketing Manchester is currently in the process of exploring a comprehensive marketing and communications project to look at how to more effectively link the wider destination with this global awareness.
"It would be beneficial for the city and region to capitalise on [Man Utd's] brand penetration to push the wider Manchester destination."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum, London