W&K resigns AOL US account over creative differences
NEW YORK - Wieden & Kennedy has said that it has resigned the America Online account after just over a year because of creative differences.
AOL has said that its other retained agency, BBDO New York, would now be the sole creative shop on the account. BBDO is owned by Omnicom Group.
AOL, which is the internet division of Time Warner, appointed Wieden & Kennedy to handle its corporate branding business and BBDO New York to its product and service account in June last year.
When Wieden & Kennedy was hired, the business was estimated to be worth $100m, but it is being estimated now that the business is worth perhaps half of that, at around $50m or less.
Wieden has worked with AOL since 1997 when it created its first Super Bowl ad. When it was hired, it was tasked with revitalising AOL's brand, which has been hurt by a government probe and declining subscribers and advertisers.
America Online has been struggling with declining subscriber numbers and has also been questioned over the way it reported some of its advertising revenues. Its subscriber numbers fell from 26.2m in March 2003 to 24m in March 2004.
AOL's corporate advertising account was handled by the New York agency Gotham for eight years, until AOL called announced the review at the beginning of last year.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London