PAA creates pavement art for museum charity fund
LONDON – Partners Andrews Aldridge has created a new awareness initiative for the National Art Collections Fund, Britain's leading art charity, to draw attention to the charity's work helping museums and galleries acquire art for their collections.
One of the most popular paintings in the UK, Velazquez's sensuous nude, 'The Toilet of Venus' ('The Rokeby Venus') will be re-created by a pavement artist outside the National Gallery. The work will be captioned with "Without the Art Fund, this is the closest you would get to the 'Rokeby Venus'", refering to the fact that the Art Fund bought it for the National Gallery in 1906 and prevented it from going overseas.
The new campaign follows the last year's ambient display, "Missing Picture" at Tate Modern and last year's D&AD commendation, the "wallpaper" insert.
The new campaign was devised by Ross Newton, copywriter, and Sarah Richards, art director. Newton and Richards were the winners of the Student D&AD awards and joined Partners Andrews Aldridge in March 2002.
Steve Aldridge, creative partner at Partners Andrews Aldridge, said: "This piece of work dramatises in a unique and clever way the fantastic work of the Art Fund. By placing the pavement art just outside the National Gallery, we will have our target audience on hand.
"I am positive that they will be stunned by an eight-foot reproduction of such a famous piece of work. Good creative work has to move people and this will make all those visiting the gallery really stop in their tracks and think about how pieces of art are acquired."
The 'Rokeby Venus' was the subject of an ambitious public campaign by the Art Fund to save the painting from being sold abroad; the charity raised the full asking price of £45,000 in three months. It was a star exhibit in the Art Fund's recent centenary exhibition, Saved! 100 Years of the National Art Collections Fund at the Hayward Gallery, South Bank.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing - SyFy NBC Universal Competitive, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Manager Ibiza Rocks 30 - 34K DOE plus performance related bonus , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Win Technologies £40,000 - £45,000 per annum plus bonus and benefits, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Corporate Reporting Consultant Radley Yeldar Competitive Salary + Bonus + Benefits, London (Greater)
- 2x Integrated Project Managers Red Sofa London £35000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Integrated Producer Red Sofa London £45000 - £50000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)